Cataractes edged the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

in second hand Lense Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:35 am
by Cl11234566 • 345 Posts

CLEVELAND -- Before leaving frigid Progressive Field, Nick Swisher delivered a final message in his signature style. "Happy Bro-pening day everyone," he yelled. Swisher made the Indians home opener one to remember. Clevelands first baseman with the infectious attitude hit a two-run homer in the sixth inning, two batters after Yan Gomes connected for a solo shot, leading the Indians to a 7-2 home-opening win over the Minnesota Twins on Friday. Swishers homer off Mike Pelfrey (0-1) allowed the Indians to cap a day of pomp and pageantry as they celebrated Progressive Fields 20th anniversary. Before the sixth, the Indians had been shut out by Pelfrey and were in danger of disappointing a sellout crowd that stuck around following a 2-hour, 13-minute rain delay and plummeting temperatures. But Swisher, who added a run-scoring double in Clevelands four-run seventh, helped the Indians win their first home opener since 2008. "I was just so proud of the way the guys fought, man," Swisher said. "Maybe that will be the identity of this team -- the fact that were gonna fight. And regardless of the situation or the obstacle in front of us, were always gonna take that head-on." Indians reliever Josh Outman (1-0) recorded two outs after coming in for starter Danny Salazar in the sixth and got the win. Michael Brantley hit a two-run single in the seventh for the Indians, who were flat and hitless through four innings. But Gomes and Swisher woke the Indians up in the sixth when they finally figured out Pelfrey. "Guys were talking in the dugout and theres the fifth inning, were down 2-0, havent even gotten a hit at that point," Swisher said. "Guys were saying, Hey, we stick around long enough, were gonna get this. And thats a great feeling to have." Chris Colabello homered for the Twins, who jumped on Salazar for two runs in the first inning and were coasting toward a win when Pelfrey fell apart. "It kind of ruins the whole day, no matter how the first four innings went," Pelfrey said. "The game got away from me. It was kind of like a kick in the stomach." Gomes got things started in the sixth with his leadoff homer, a lined shot into the centre-field bullpen to trim Minnesotas lead to 2-1. Lonnie Chisenhall walked and Nyjer Morgan sacrificed. Up came Swisher, who fell behind 0-1 before belting his homer, a towering fly pushed deeper into the right-field seats by the gusty winds. Swisher posed to watch the balls flight and then punctuated the homer by flipping his bat as he headed down the first-base line. After crossing home plate, the Ohio native saluted Clevelands crowd by raising his arms and making an "O" and then "H" an "I" and "O." It was typical Swisher -- animated and enthusiastic. "I think everybody gets a kick out of it," Indians manager Terry Francona said of Swishers theatrics. "Maybe not the other team. But I think our guys like it." Said Swisher: "Im going to be who I am." Before the game, Swisher complimented Clevelands front office for signing All-Star second baseman Jason Kipnis to a six-year, $52.5 million contract hours before the opener. "Bro, I think its awesome, so amazing," he said. "I feel that were starting to create an identity of who we are." That process began last season, when the Indians won their last 10 games to make the playoffs for the first time since 2007. They lost the wild-card game to Tampa Bay, but Cleveland entered this season with expectations to go even further this October. Until then, Swisher wants everyone to stay warm. "Everybody go home and get a hot cocoa," he said. NOTES: Cleveland has won seven straight over Minnesota. ... Kipnis signing means 16 of the 25 players on the Indians roster are signed through at least 2016. ... Twins manager Ron Gardenhire has a special fondness for Progressive Field, known as Jacobs Field for most of its history. "I love this place," he said. "Its a beautiful atmosphere with the city in the background and the dude banging on the drum out there. Not too many ballparks have fans sitting right next to your dugout in a glassed-in area offering you a beer." ... Former Indians manager Mike Hargrove threw out the ceremonial first pitch, skipping it to first-base coach Sandy Alomar, who played for Hargrove. College Jerseys . PAUL, Minn. Authentic Jerseys . The Union looked to have grabbed a big win in the 88th minute when Amobi Okugo finally put the hosts in front. But a terrible giveaway by Union goalkeeper Rais Mbolhi handed Earnshaw the equalizer in the second minute of stoppage time, keeping the Union two points back of fifth-place Red Bull New York for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. https://www.cheapjerseysjustwholesale.com/. Switzerland faces Belgium or Kazakhstan in the quarterfinals in April. Serbia dropped into the World Group playoffs in September. A confident Chiudinelli and Lammer defeated veteran doubles player Zimonjic and young Krajinovic 7-6 (3), 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-2. NBA Jerseys . - Anthony Beauvillier had the winning goal in the third period as the Shawinigan Cataractes edged the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies 2-1 on Wednesday in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League play. Stitched Jerseys . Toronto dropped a 7-2 decision to the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday afternoon, with only a pair of late runs preventing a second straight shutout loss. Josh Willingham belted a two-run homer in the first inning and Kendrys Morales hit a bases-clearing double in the seventh as the Twins took the rubber game of the three-game series.HONG KONG -- Top-seeded Sabine Lisicki hit 12 aces and broke her opponent five times to beat Francesca Schiavone of Italy 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 Saturday to reach the final of the Hong Kong Open. The German needed more than two hours to win thee tight encounter and will face third-seeded Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic in Sundays final.dddddddddddd Pliskova saved 11 of the 13 break points she faced to beat Alison Van Uytvanck of Belgium 6-1, 4-6, 6-4. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen