Ganassi team manager Mike

in camera talk Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 am
by jinshuiqian0713 • 1.470 Posts

Dario Franchitti kept racing after the death of best friend Greg Moore. He continued on following the death of former teammate Dan Wheldon. He was eager to drive into his early 40s. He wont get the chance. The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and four-time IndyCar Series champion reluctantly and abruptly retired Thursday, saying doctors told him it would be too dangerous for him to continue racing because of injuries sustained in a harrowing crash last month. "Racing has been my life for over 30 years, and its really tough to think that the driving side is now over," Franchitti said. Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 race at Houston, where his car made contact with Takuma Satos car on the last lap and sailed into a fence. Debris from the accident injured 13 fans in the grandstands and one IndyCar official. The 40-year-old Franchitti underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover. "One month removed from the crash, and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post-accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing," Franchitti said. "They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop." Franchitti did not use the word "retire" in a lengthy statement released through Target Chip Ganassi Racing, the team he joined in 2009 following a brief stint in NASCAR with Ganassi a year earlier. Franchitti was unstoppable upon his return to IndyCar. Teamed with Ganassi and driving the feared red No. 10 Target car, Franchitti reeled off three consecutive championships and won 12 races. Two of the wins were Indy 500s. He became the face of the series -- Franchitti always had crossover appeal for IndyCar thanks to an 11-year marriage to actress Ashley Judd, which ended in January -- because he was personable, well-spoken, popular in the paddock and passionate about the sport. It resonated with fans and made Franchitti one of IndyCars all-time greats. His 31 victories are tied for eighth on the all-time list, and his 33 poles are sixth. "Dario Franchitti has done so much for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, so it will be very disappointing to not see him in our cars next season," Ganassi said. "But simply put, Dario is a motorsports legend and will be sorely missed on the race track by everyone in the paddock and in the stands. His contributions to the sport of motor racing are too many to list, but I can tell you that they go way beyond what he has done on the track." Asked on Twitter if Franchitti had indeed retired, Judd replied: "Yes, with an extraordinary career, legendary achievements, aplomb & style." Franchittis last victory was the 2012 Indy 500, an emotional race that came seven months after defending winner Wheldon had been killed in a crash at Las Vegas. Franchitti battled teammate Scott Dixon over the final third of the race, jockeyed with Sato in the closing laps until Sato spun to bring out a caution, and led Dixon and Tony Kanaan across the finish line as three of Wheldons closest friends finished 1-2-3. It was a poignant moment for Franchitti, who was too familiar with death in the sport he loved. Moore died in the 1999 season finale at Fontana, and Franchitti to this day remains deeply affected by the loss. "Ill forever look back on my time racing in CART and the IndyCar Series with fond memories and the relationships Ive forged in the sport will last a lifetime," he said. "Hopefully in time, Ill be able to continue in some off-track capacity with the IndyCar Series. I love open-wheel racing and I want to see it succeed. Ill be working with Chip to see how I can stay involved with the team, and with all the amazing friends Ive made over the years at Target. "As my buddy Greg Moore would say, See you up front." Word of Franchittis decision spread quickly and drivers who never raced against him reacted with sadness. "I think to have him around and on the circuit is far better than him going an injuring himself again against doctors advice," said Nigel Mansell, who was at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, for this weekends Formula One race. But those closest to Franchitti were most affected. "Dario was a hell of a driver and will be missed -- missed by everyone in racing around the world," said 1963 Indy 500 winner Parnelli Jones. "He was my kind of guy. He wasnt afraid to put his foot down and go. It is really hard to believe that he had to give up racing, I know would he would have won more races, and maybe Indy a couple more times, had he been able to continue driving." Michael Andretti, who fielded Franchittis car for his first Indy 500 victory and first series championship in 2007, said he was shocked. "I thought he had one good year left in him, and I know he wanted to race beyond IndyCar," Andretti said. "So thats what I feel most bad about -- hes being parked by a doctor. Hes not going to be able to race the sports car stuff he had talked about. He wont race with his brother (Marino), Le Mans, all the things he wanted to fulfil." Dixon, who won the 2008 championship while Franchitti was in NASCAR, called his teammate a motorsports legend. "More importantly, I can call him a best friend," Dixon said. "There are very few people that have achieved as much in auto racing and knowing Dario, he wont go far as IndyCar racing is in his blood and I am sure he will stay involved somehow." Franchitti had lured good friend and former Andretti teammate Kanaan to the Ganassi stable for 2014, an announcement that was made at Houston two days before Franchittis accident. Kanaan said he was counting the days "to be his teammate again," but is grateful Franchitti will still be in the IndyCar paddock next season. "As much as it hurts not seeing him compete with me in IndyCar, Im delighted that he got out of that accident and is still here with us," Kanaan said. Franchitti defeated Will Power three consecutive years to win the IndyCar championship and the two developed a rare rivalry for the series. "We had some real battles out on the track over the last few years and I appreciated how fierce of a competitor he was," Power said. "His accomplishments in IndyCar are incredible and the sport will definitely miss him." His retirement leaves Helio Castroneves as the only active three-time Indy 500 winner trying to join A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears and Al Unser Sr. as a four-time winner. "I know he will continue to be a great ambassador for our sport and Im sure Dario has a lot more to contribute to racing, it will just be in a different way than driving an IndyCar," Castroneves said. Foyt, the only driver with more IndyCar titles than Franchitti with seven, said: "If the doctors tell him he should quit then he should listen to them. Im the opposite and never would listen, but I probably would have been a lot better off if I did. But Darios won a lot of races and championships so he has a lot to be proud of. My hats off to him." Franchitti could find a role with the Ganassi organization, or perhaps land in the television booth. Andretti suggested Franchitti would be a good fit as a consultant to a manufacturer. For now, everyone was still trying to adjust to the idea of racing without Franchitti on the track. "You pinch yourself everyday as firsthand you are witness to the talent, ability, work ethic and start-versus-win ratio of Dario Franchitti," Ganassi team manager Mike Hull said. "Having Dario represent all of us is whats right about motorsports. His representation of the integrity of a true champion is what sets him apart." Wholesale Shoes Black Friday . Two-time Olympic bronze medallists Savchenko and Szolkowy received 79.02 points to finish ahead of world bronze medallists Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford of Canada, who had 77.01 points. Cheap Shoes Black Friday . PETERSBURG, Fla. https://www.cheapshoesblackfriday.com/. Mauer struck out to end the inning, with a runner on third base in the seventh on Wednesday and the Twins trailing 1-0. Everybody does this, of course, in a sport with a 30 per cent success rate at the plate long proven to be a benchmark of excellence. China Shoes Black Friday .ca presents its latest weekly power rankings for the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League season. Discount Shoes Black Friday . Kuznetsov, who was selected by the Capitals in the first round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has been playing for his hometown team Chelyabinsk Traktor of the KHL.Every game below is broadcast on TSN5 and on RDS feeds. October Date Game Time ET Feed Thursday, October 9 Ottawa at Nashville 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Monday, October 13 Ottawa at Florida 7:30pm TSN5/RDSinfo Thursday, October 16 Colorado at Ottawa 7pm TSN5/RDSinfo Tuesday October 28 Ottawa at Columbus 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, October 30 Chicago at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS November Date Game Time ET Feed Tuesday, November 4 Detroit at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, November 6 Minnesota at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, November 11 Ottawa at Vancouver 9:30pm TSN5/RDS Thursday, November 13 Ottawa at Edmonton 9pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, November 20 Nashville at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Saturday, November 22 St. Louis at Ottawa 3pm TSN5/RDS Monday, November 24 Ottawa at Detroit 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, November 25 Ottawa at St. Louis 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Friday, November 28 Ottawa at Florida 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 December Date Game Time ET Feed Tuesday, December 2 Ottawa at NY Islanders 7pm TSN5/RDS Thursday, December 4 NY Islanders at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Saturday, December 6 Ottawa at Pittsburgh 1pm TSN5/RDS Thursday, December 11 Los Angeles at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Saturday, December 13 Ottawa at Boston 1pm TSN5/RDS Monday, December 15 Ottawa at Buffalo 7pm TSN5/RDS Friday, December 19 Anaheim at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Monday, December 22 Ottawa at Washingon 7pm TSN5/RDS Monday, December 29 Buffalo at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDSinfo January Date Game Time ET Feed Saturday, January 3 Ottawa at Boston 1pm TSN/RDS Tuesday, January 6 Ottawa at Philadelphia 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, January 8 Ottawa at Colorado 8:30pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, January 13 Ottawa at Dallas 8:30pm TSN5/RDS Thursday, January 15 Montreal at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, January 20 Ottawa at NY Rangers 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, January 29 Dallas at Ottawa 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Saturday, January 31 Arizona at Ottawa 3pm TSN5/RDS2 February Date Game Time ET Feed Tuesday, February 3 Ottawa at New Jersey 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, February 5 Washington at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, February 10 Ottawa at Buffalo 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, February 12 Pittsburgh at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Monday, February 16 Carolina at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Wednesday, February 18 Montreal at Ottawa 7pm RDS Wednesday, February 25 Ottawa at Anaheim 9:30pm TSN5/RDS Thursday, February 26 Ottawa at Los Angeles 10:30pm TSN5/RDS March Date Game Time ET Feed Tuesday, March 3 Ottawa at Minnesota 8pm TSN5/RDS Friday, March 6 Buffalo at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, March 10 Boston at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, March 12 Ottawa at Montreal 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Friday, March 13 Ottawa at NY Islanders 7pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, March 17 Ottawa at Carolina 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, March 19 Boston at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Monday, March 23 San Jose at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS Thursday, March 26 NY Rangers at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Sunday, March 29 Florida at Ottawa 5pm TSN5/RDS Tuesday, March 31 Ottawa at Detroit 7:30pm TSN5/RDS April Date Game Time ET Feed Thursday, April 2 Tampa Bay at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Tuesday, April 7 Pittsburgh at Ottawa 7:30pm TSN5/RDS2 Thursday, April 9 Ottawa at NY Rangers 7pm TSN5/RDS2 Saturday, April 11 Ottawa at Philadelphia 12pm TSN5/RDS2 ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen