who stopped Alvarado

in second hand Camera Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 am
by Cl11234566 • 345 Posts

BALTIMORE -- As rain washed over Camden Yards, Brandon Workman found his happy place underneath the stadium seating bowl. Workman maintained his pitching rhythm in a batting cage during the second of two rain delays. Upon his return, the right-hander was virtually unhittable. Workman allowed one single over 6 2-3 innings, and the Boston Red Sox beat Chris Tillman and the Baltimore Orioles 1-0 on Tuesday night for their second win in eight games. Mike Napolis third-inning RBI single was all the offence the Red Sox needed to come out on the positive end of a pitchers duel for the first time this season. Boston was 0-18 when scoring fewer than three runs. Workman (1-0) walked one and struck out four in earning his first win as a starter since last July. He held the Orioles hitless until Ryan Flaherty lined a soft single to centre with two outs in the sixth. Workman had to overcome two stoppages, both in the second inning. The first lasted 15 minutes, the second 1:18. "It wasnt that bad," Workman said. "I went down and threw in the batting cage a little bit to stay loose, to stay ready." After retiring Nick Markakis to end the sixth inning, Workman got two straight outs in the seventh before being lifted. It was the longest outing of a 27-game career that includes seven starts. "He was outstanding, especially in light of the two different rain delays," Boston manager John Farrell said. "He was able to stay loose with a couple of almost simulated innings in the batting cage." Workman retired the first 13 batters before Nelson Cruz drew a walk. J.J. Hardy followed with a popup to second base, and Cruz took off for second and was easily doubled up. "Its no excuse," Cruz said. "I should know better. It shouldnt have happened." Earlier, Boston third baseman Xander Bogaerts robbed the Orioles of two potential hits in the third inning. He snagged a bunt by David Lough and threw out the fleet runner, then made a diving stab of a line drive by Flaherty. The no-hit bid gained steam later, but Workman said, "I was not really thinking about it. I was just trying to stay in the moment and keep executing pitches and keep working each batter. Not getting ahead of myself." Workman will have a hearing Friday on his appeal of a six-game suspension. He was suspended after the league determined he was intentionally throwing in the "head area" of Tampa Bays Evan Longoria on May 30. If he is forced to miss time, Workman certainly went out on a high note. "Honestly, when we started back up, I thought if he got through four innings that might be enough for tonight," Farrell said. "But as efficient as he was, as strong as he was, he just kept putting up zeroes and retiring guys consecutively so we continued to stay with him." Baltimores only other hit was a single by Steve Pearce in the ninth off Koji Uehara, who earned his 13th save. Tillman (5-3) gave up one run and seven hits in six innings. It was his first loss in six starts since May 11. "Tough conditions tonight for both teams but you wont hear any excuses from us," the right-hander said Manny Machado started at third base for the Orioles despite receiving a five-game suspension and a fine for intentionally throwing his bat in Sundays game against Oakland. Machado appealed the suspension, batted second and went 0 for 4, making the final out on a strikeout. Tillman got off to a rocky start following the second rain delay. Brock Holt led off the third with a single, David Ortiz walked and Napoli delivered a two-out, opposite-field RBI single to right. Boston used three straight singles to load the bases with no outs in the fourth. Tillman struck out Holt, then got Bogaerts to bounce into a 6-4-3 double play. Over the first four innings, the Red Sox had seven hits and three walks but scored only the one run after stranding seven and hitting into two double plays. NOTES: Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said before the game that an overhaul of the roster is not yet necessary for the struggling team. "Im betting on the players we have in there," he said. ... Holt extended his hitting streak to a career-high 10 games. ... Wei-Yin Chen makes his 10th career start against the Red Sox in the series finale Wednesday night. Hes 3-3 with a 5.26 ERA. Rubby De La Rosa will start for Boston. ... Markakis 14-game hitting streak ended. ... Baltimores Chris Davis went 0 for 3 with three strikeouts. Air Jordan Sale .com) - The Chicago Blackhawks take aim at their longest winning streak of the season on Sunday when they host the Calgary Flames in a battle at the United Center. Air Jordan 19 For Sale .com) - Jenny Boucek is the new head coach of the Seattle Storm. https://www.wholesalejordanshoeschina.com/. Nine years later, he might have finally figured it out. He had only five rounds in the 60s in his previous eight trips. Discount Air Jordan . On the eve of the 2013-14 NBA season, he can finally take a step back and allow his team to do the talking. Wholesale Air Jordan . Teams one through twenty competing in Englands top flight are each fatally flawed. A wide-open, highly competitive and mistake-filled season has followed.INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Juan Manuel Marquez fought 12 times at the Forum in the early days of his record-setting career, and the Mexican champion fondly remembers almost every round. Even as an unknown featherweight prospect, Marquez loved the crackling atmosphere of the 1990s fight cards at the once-Fabulous Forum, where Lakers owner Jerry Buss indulged his passion for boxing by putting on hundreds of shows. Hollywood glitterati and hard-core fight fans mingled in Buss famed arena, which fell into decline after the Lakers and the NHLs Kings moved downtown to Staples Center in 1999. The Forum still holds a beloved place in the minds of California sports fans -- and after 13 years of inactivity, the building is back in the boxing business. Marquez (55-7-1, 40 KOs) gets the privilege of re-christening a building where he has never lost. "I feel very happy, because I get to fight in a great place," said Marquez, who made his Forum debut in 1995. "It is a beautiful, historical place." Marquez is hoping to revive the excitement when he takes on Mike Alvarado (34-2, 23 KOs) on Saturday night at the Forum, which has been rehabilitated by The Madison Square Garden Co. with everything from a fresh coat of red exterior paint to a thoroughly refurbished interior. Marquezs welterweight showdown with the hard-punching Alvarado live on HBO is the first fight card since 2001 at the Forum, where dozens of Mexican and American boxers got their first big fights. Its also the place where Top Ranks Bob Arum promoted Muhammad Alis second fight with Ken Norton in 1973, back when Jack Kent Cooke owned the building. "I really missed it when they closed the Forum as an entertainment and sports venue," Arum said. "They used it as a church for a while, and nothing pleases me more than that it is back as a sports venue and hosting a boxing event." Arum put together a compelling main event for the Forums return. Although both fighters are coming off a loss, Marquez and Alvarado are among two of tthe worlds most entertaining fighters at their weights, with Alvarados boldness and brawling instincts contrasting nicely with Marquezs skill and counterpunching.dddddddddddd Marquez has won world championships in four weight classes, and a victory over Alvarado would set him up for a shot at a fifth title at 147 pounds. The winner of this bout is likely to fight Manny Pacquiao in the fall, which means Marquez would get a fifth bout with the Filipino congressman after winning their fourth meeting by spectacular knockout. "I concentrate only on this fight," Marquez said. "Maybe in the future Ill think about that fight, but right now, the most important fight of my career is against Alvarado, because he is a strong fighter and a tough fighter." Alvarado is eager to bounce back from a difficult loss to Ruslan Provodnikov, who stopped Alvarado and took his 140-pound title last fall. While Alvarado would love the career-changing opportunity of a fight with Pacquiao, hes grateful for the chance to fight Marquez, who ranks right alongside Pacquiao among their generations best boxers. "Im here to put on a better show and perform at a higher level," Alvarado said. "This is where I belong, and Im going to show that this weekend." Although the main event is compelling, the return of boxing to the Forum will evoke fond memories for veterans of the fight game. Arum is hoping the card creates new excitement in Inglewood for future visits in an area already featuring several excellent boxing venues, including the outdoor StubHub Center in Carson. "I see that a lot of the fighters (for this weekend) are staying at the Marriott at the airport," Arum said. "When we did the Ali-Norton II fight, that was the fight headquarters as well. That was what, 41 years ago? Oh my, I was a thin, young handsome guy. Now Im an old, fat guy. It was a great night, a good fight. Norton gave Ali trouble. The fight at the Forum was very close, and Ali pulled it out." ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4195 topics and 4198 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen