a long injury layoff especially

in camera talk Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:40 am
by jinshuiqian0713 • 1.470 Posts

EVANSVILLE, Ind. -- No. 4 Wichita State relied on the basics Sunday: defence and ball security. Again, it was the perfect combination. The Shockers forced 18 turnovers, finished with a season-high 14 steals and finally locked down Evansvilles shooters late to pull away for an 84-68 victory that kept them one of the nations two undefeated teams. "We wanted to extend them, get their timing disrupted. I dont think we expected that many steals," Fred VanVleet said. "There were only a few times where we had breakdowns where we werent really where we were supposed to be." Few expected the Shockers (27-0, 14-0 Missouri Valley Conference) to be in this spot -- even after reaching the Final Four last April. They are one of only 21 teams in NCAA history to win their first 27 games, extended their school-record winning streak and are 14-0 in conference play for the first time in school history. And after Arizonas latest loss, Wichita State could be poised to move up another notch in the poll, getting even closer to Division Is only other perfect team -- No. 1 Syracuse. A win Wednesday at Loyola also would assure the Shockers at least a share of the regular-season conference title and the No. 1 seed in the Valley tournament -- with three league games still on the docket. How have they done it? With a balanced offence and a staunch defence that Evansville knows is the best in the Valley. Wichita State trumped the Purple Aces by outscoring them 23-2 off turnovers and 10-4 on fastbreaks. Coach Gregg Marshall didnt even need a stat sheet to tell him what had happened. He estimated that the Shockers topped the 40-deflection mark. The other numbers were just as glaring. VanVleet and Ron Baker each finished with a career-best five steals, and, not surprisingly wound up as the top scorers. Baker had a career-high 26 points, while VanVleet added 18 and eight assists and flirted with the possibility of a triple-double throughout the second half. But thats not what motivated Wichita, which lost twice to Evansville last season and fell behind by double-digits early in the first meeting two weeks ago at Wichita. They wanted to put away the Aces, and before the game, Marshall let Cleanthony Early, the teams top scorer, know exactly what he needed to do in front of a Pacers scout who had been asking about his defence. Early responded by scoring 13 points, seven rebounds and playing his best defensive game of the year, too. "I loved his mental approach tonight and thats not always the case," Marshall said. "But tonight I thought he was very disciplined and when he does that, man, hes really good." Evansville (11-16, 4-10) learned its lesson the hard way. Despite getting 19 points from D.J. Balentine, the MVCs top scorer, and 19 points and 10 rebounds from Egidiju Mockevicius, it wasnt quite enough to prevent a fourth loss in five games or a second straight this season to Wichita. The Purple Aces did most of what they set out to do -- shooting 51.1 per cent from the field, 45.5 per cent from 3-point range, made 15 of 16 free throws, limited the Shockers to only six offensive rebounds and kept challenging Wichita State right down to the final minutes. But the turnovers, as they had all game, finally did them in. "We didnt turn it over in the press, we did it in the half-court and you have to take care of the basketball," coach Marty Simmons said. "Weve really got to learn, weve got to learn from that, and thats one of our biggest deficiencies." The Purple Aces, however, only trailed 38-32 at the half and still found a way to fight back after falling into a 55-41 deficit early in the second half. Mockevicius scored the first eight points in a 10-2 spurt that cut the deficit to 57-51 with 11:19 to go. Early answered with five straight points and Evansville rallied again, getting as close as 65-60 with 6:10 left before throwing the ball away on an inbound pass that would have cut the deficit to three. "They did a good job of changing defences and I was trying to get a timeout," Simmons said. Instead, the Shockers got the ball back and forced two more turnovers during the decisive 13-4 run that finally sealed the victory. "We were just focused on getting stops and it went in our favour," VanVleet said. "We wanted to end it right there. After that possession, I think we got back on the right track." Air Vapormax Outlet . Dane Dobbie and Shawn Evans each had two goals and two assists for the Roughnecks (8-5), who outscored Minnesota 6-2 in the fourth quarter after being tied through 45 minutes. Curtis Dickson scored once and set up three more for Calgary and Dan MacRae, Geoff Snider, Tor Reinholdt, Karsen Leung and Matthew Dinsdale. Vapormax Uomo 2020 . - Kentucky freshmen Stanley Boom Williams, Dorian Baker, Drew Barker and Tymere Dubose have been charged with disorderly conduct for their involvement with air pistol shots being fired near a residence hall on the South campus Sunday night. http://www.vapormaxscontateoutlet.it/vap...ate-outlet.html. Tristan Jackson returned a missed field goal 129 yards early in the fourth quarter as the Roughriders beat the B.C. Nike Vapormax In Offerta . George Hill had 13 points and seven rebounds for the Pacers, who stayed atop the overall NBA standings despite losing twice on their West Coast trip. Los Angeles kept it close into the second half before the Pacers finished an easy win over the injury-riddled Lakers, who have lost five straight. Vapormax Bianche Uomo .com) - Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer were among the third-round winners Friday at the French Open.BOSTON, Massachusetts - If it was possible for steam to emit from a mans ears, manager John Gibbons office would have been engulfed by a blinding fog after Sundays 5-4 series-losing defeat to the Boston Red Sox. "Thats the most frustrating loss of the year, to be honest with you," said Gibbons. "Simply because of who were playing, where were at and so many opportunities. I cant remember that many opportunities we let get away." Case in point: the sixth inning, when the Blue Jays were trailing 4-2. Josh Thole, whod replaced Adam Lind – more on that in a moment – walked. Rajai Davis and Colby Rasmus followed with singles to load the bases with nobody out. Toronto didnt score. J.P. Arencibia and Maicer Izturis were retired on infield flies and Emilio Bonifacio, pinch hitting for Munenori Kawasaki against Red Sox left-hander Craig Breslow, struck out. Inning over. While the Jays did manage to recover, tying the game thanks to solo home runs by Jose Reyes in the seventh and Jose Bautista in the ninth, it wasnt enough. With one out in the Boston ninth, Juan Perez gave up a single to Brandon Snyder and then walked Jacoby Ellsbury. Casey Janssen replaced Perez and got a ground ball out of Shane Victorino, which was misplayed by Thole and rolled into right field. Jonathan Diaz, pinch running for Snyder, scored the game-winning run. Thole, appearing in only his second major league game at first base but who has played the position 156 times in the minors, cut to the chase. "It sucks," he said. "Ive just got to catch the ball and make an out." Sport often weaves a narrative. In that vein, perhaps its fitting that in their 81st game, the halfway point of what has been a disappointing season, the Blue Jays suffered a disappointing loss. Lind woke up Sunday morning with tightness in his back, the first time this season hes made mention of a problem which plagued him between 2010-2012. Lind is hopeful he misses no more than "a couple of days." After the game, it was revealed Mark DeRosa injured his neck taking batting practice on Sunday morning and wasnt available. Gibbons short bench was rendered even shorter and he was forced to go with the struggling Bonifacio in that sixth inning pinch hit spott.dddddddddddd Perez, riding a 15-inning scoreless streak, took the loss when the unearned run scored in the ninth. Ordinarily, he wouldnt have been Gibbons first choice to start the frame but because starters Chien-Ming Wang and Josh Johnson gave the club only five combined innings on Thursday and Friday nights, the bullpen was taxed. In one game, it all added up. Just like inconsistent starting pitching, sometimes shoddy defence and hit-and-miss offence have conspired to add up to a 40-41 record through 81 games. The second half begins with a Canada Day matinee back home against the Detroit Tigers. The Blue Jays are expecting a sell-out crowd. "Hopefully, the crowd gets behind us," said Mark Buehrle. "I mean, the last couple of games we were home, it was pretty impressive playing there. Hopefully, we can come back and start playing better." Bautista has 200th home run ball Jose Bautista hit the 200th and 201st home runs of his major league career in Saturdays 6-2 win over the Red Sox. His 200th, a two run shot in the sixth, cleared the Green Monster seats and landed in the parking lot on the other side of the left field wall. A clubhouse attendant retrieved the ball for Bautista, who, by the way, was wearing a pair of R.A. Dickeys pants to accommodate the high socks look. Bautista changed his look to change his luck at the plate and, apparently, it worked. He had three hits, including a game-tying home run (202) in the ninth, in Sundays series finale. Reyes being patient with himself Superstars are used to having success. It makes the first few games after a long injury layoff especially difficult. Jose Reyes keeps reminding himself to be patient, stay positive. "Im just going to continue to go to home plate aggressive," said Reyes. "I know that I missed a long time and its going to take a little while. Hopefully sooner than later, I get my timing back but Im going to go to home plate with the same attitude and just try to put a good swing on the ball. Whatever happens, happens. I come in here and work with (hitting coach) Chad (Mottola) every day on my swing and I need to understand that its a process." In five games since his return from a 66-game absence with a sprained left ankle, Reyes is 4-19 (.211) with a home run and two walks. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen