enalty kill. Special Teams Capsule PP: 0-1 PK: 5-5 Q

in camera talk Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:16 am
by sakura698 • 435 Posts

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard felt the deciding goal shouldnt have counted in the Red Wings 4-2 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday night. Fake Football Jerseys . "I guess its something to remember here and keep in the back of our minds -- if you knock the net off, just throw (the puck) in there," he said. "It should count." Cam Atkinson scored a goal confirmed by video replay in the third period, and Ryan Johansen added an empty-netter for his second of the game to lead the Blue Jackets to a win that further tightens the already close Eastern Conference playoff race. On an odd-man rush, Matt Calverts shot from the left wing was stopped by Howard, although the puck popped loose behind the goalie. Atkinson, racing down the right wing, was hit by Detroit defenceman Brendan Smith. Atkinsons leg knocked the net off its moorings as he backhanded the loose puck into the cage as it was sliding away from the goal line. The goal, at 6:58 of the third, was ruled good because Smiths hit on Atkinson had knocked the net loose -- bringing a loud cheer from the crowd of 15,103. "I wasnt really sure," Atkinson said about the goal. "The net went off, but their explanation was the puck was going in as the net was coming off. Matty just made a good play. The puck kind of snuck out between his legs, and I was at the right place at the right time." Columbus, Detroit, Washington and Toronto are all tied with 80 points for places 7-10 in the East. The Blue Jackets win any tiebreaker, and Detroit and Columbus also have more games left (10) than the Capitals (9) and Maple Leafs (8). Columbus had lost three of four. "We got some fortunate bounces," Johansen said after goals 28 and 29. "Thats what we needed." Brandon Dubinsky and Johansen had power-play goals in the first period after the Blue Jackets had failed to score on their previous 36 opportunities with a man advantage over a 10-game span. James Wisniewski assisted on both and added another helper. "You know what Im pleased about? Hopefully after tonight I wont get any more questions about the power play," Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. "When we scored the first one I said, Good. Now we can stop talking about it." Curtis McElhinney stopped 22 of 23 shots in relief of Sergei Bobrovsky, who left after the first period because of the flu. McElhinney made Atkinsons goal stand with big stops on Darren Helm with 8 minutes left, making a sprawling pad save, and again a minute later on Johan Franzens wraparound. With 1:44 left, he deflected Kyle Quinceys wicked blast from the high slot with his right shoulder. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock refused to blame the call on the Atkinson goal for the loss. "It doesnt matter what I think, obviously," he said. "They made a decision. I thought when the net was off, the goal didnt count but they evidently thought our guy pushed their guy in. So its a goal. Theres no sense disputing that. We had to get one more goal." Gustav Nyquist, last weeks No. 1 star in the NHL, maintained his hot hand with two goals for the Red Wings, who were 3-0-1 in their previous four. He has 20 goals in his last 24 games. "It doesnt really matter," he said of his two goals. "It was an important game. Well forget about this one and move on." NOTES: With a TV camera just a couple of feet away on the other side of the glass during a break, Johansen grinned and tore off a piece of athletic tape and playfully stuck it on the glass to shield the cameras view. ... Howard stopped 23 of 26 shots. ... Last week, Nyquist had six goals and seven points in four games; the Blue Jackets had six goals as a team in their previous five games. ... RW Mitch Callahan, recalled on Monday from AHL Grand Rapids, made his NHL debut for the Red Wings, skating on the fourth line. Fake NHL Jerseys . The 31-year-old Spain midfielder hasnt played since Madrid lost in the Copa del Rey final to Atletico Madrid in May due to back and foot injuries. Fake Jerseys For Sale .com) - The Columbus Blue Jackets rewarded starting goaltender and pending restricted free agent Sergei Bobrovsky with a four-year contract extension on Friday. https://www.fakejerseys.us.com/ . Inter moved five points behind fourth-place Fiorentina and eight points behind third-place Napoli, which visits relegation-threatened Sassuolo on Sunday.CALGARY – No team in the NHL has shot the puck with greater accuracy this season than the Toronto Maple Leafs. “Were just a very opportunistic team,” said Nazem Kadri, who has scored five times on just 24 shots this fall. “We dont need many chances to score goals.” Despite being outshot for the 12th time in 14 games this season, the Leafs found the means for their third straight win, beating Calgary on the second leg of a three-game swing through Western Canada. Totaling about half the shots of the Flames – 22 to 43 – they managed victory yet again (10-4-0) with continued accuracy, a sturdy penalty kill and more mastery in the crease, on this night a 41-save performance from Jonathan Bernier. In question is whether the Leafs are simply opportunistic with mighty goaltending and terrific special teams or very fortunate considering lingering troubles defensively. “Obviously great goaltending and our special teams have been great winning us games,” said Kadri, after the second end of a back-to-back set, the Leafs winning in Edmonton a night earlier. “Thats only going to get you so far, but when youre not playing your best or maybe if its an off-night coming into a pretty tough building you have to rely on those things to get you through.” Firing at a league-leading 12.7 per cent clip (according to the extraskater.com) the Leafs continue to shoot and score with unlikely precision; four goals on 22 shots (including an empty-netter) in a victory over the Flames following four goals on 26 shots in victory over the Oilers. Unsustainable luck, or strategic accuracy? Also the league leaders in shooting percentage last season, the Leafs tend to believe the latter. “I guess were not a team that just shoots from anywhere like some of these teams,” said Kadri, who had one shot and one assist in 20 minutes against the Flames. “The Pittsburghs and the Chicagos, even Calgary, any opportunity they have theyre just throwing it at the net and then seeing what happens. A lot of times thats not a bad thing. But for us, we wait for our odd-man rushes or if we outman someone in front of the net to get good scoring chances usually were putting them in.” The theory proved true on Wednesday night. Joffrey Lupul out-manned several Flames in front for the games opening goal; James van Riemsdyk broke loose on a shorthanded rush with Jay McClement for second marker; Mason Raymond tallied the eventual winner on the door-step following a David Clarkson takeaway and rebound. Not only are they scoring with precision – the Leafs rank third in offence so far – but yielding a mighty sum of shots against; 40-plus for the second consecutive night and 36 per game this season. But as was the case in Edmonton – a 43-save night from James Reimer – and really all season there was another load-bearing performance in goal; Bernier stopped 41, including 34 of 35 through 40 minutes. The Leafs goalie tandem now boasts a .939 collective save percentage, amongst the best in the league. Whether such effectiveness can continue under the strain of such a mighty nightly barrage is uncertain. Helping the cause additionally against Calgary and throughout the season were game-changing special teams. The Toronto penalty kill stoned the Flames on all five power-play opportunities and sits as the fourth best unit in the league. Silent on this night, the power-play ranks third overall. Lying under the cover of wins are stats which point toward some degree of good fortune. But for the Eastern Conference leading Leafs the numbers in the standings prove satisfying. “We got two points,” said Randy Carlyle after the most recent win. “No matter how you get them theyre still two points in the standings. Im sure theres going to be games throughout the course of this season that wed say we were unlucky that we didnt win and theres going to be more games that were going to say were lucky to win. I think it all evens out in the end. Obviously wed like to play better defensively as every team would.” Five Points 1. Rising Shots Against Wednesday marked the 13th time the Leafs have allowed 30-plus shots and the second straight night of more than 40 against. Only the struggling Senators allow more on a nightly basis. “Well give them perimeter shots,” said Kadri. “We have no problem doing that. Its just boxing out in front. Thats where weve got to make sure were good. And really a lot of shots did come from the outside. Bernier did a great job looking aat all of them. Fake Baseball Jerseys. There were probably countless point shots tonight which arent terrible to give up.” Still, the 23-year-old conceded to the danger of yielding so many shots and subsequent chances against. “Yeah, there is [danger],” he agreed. “But really it depends whos in front. Thats our job to make sure that our goaltenders can see the puck. Shots from the point with traffic are pretty dangerous; if were giving that up weve got to make sure were good in that blue paint.” 2. Cutting Down Those Shots... As for cutting down the amount of shots opponents have had, Jay McClement pointed to possession. “Its playing with the puck I guess,” said McClement, who won 21 of 28 faceoffs against the Flames. “We get into trouble when we dont possess the puck enough. Part of that is turnovers and part of its just executing when we do have it and not [making] bad passes or bad dumps or what have you. “Were lucky we have two great goalies,” he added. 3. More of the Same Bernier nearly matched the efforts of his teammate from one night earlier. James Reimer stopped all 43 shots in victory over the Oilers on Tuesday. Though he wasnt quite so flawless, the 25-year-old was nonetheless effective in keeping the puck out, most notably during a second frame that saw the Flames fire 20 shots on goal. “That second I was a little tired at the end,” said Bernier afterward. “You cant look past your goaltender,” Carlyle added. “Hes given us a chance no matter who weve put in the net.” Bernier sits tied for seventh with a .933 save percentage, just a little ways behind Reimer, who remains second overall with a sizzling .949 mark. 4. Growth from Calgary Dion Phaneuf first suited up for the Flames on Oct. 5, 2005. He played over 24 minutes in Minnesota that night, a 6-3 loss to the Wild. From the point of his NHL debut to where he stands with the Leafs in the present, Phaneuf says growth has been most poignant defensively. “I think that thats a learning curve that a lot of young [defencemen] have when they come in,” said the 28-year-old before the game. “When you first start at a young age youre usually protected by different matchups and the coaching staff usually puts you out there against the guys that they want to match you up against and as you get older and as you gain more experience youre playing against better players. I feel that Ive grown in my role and the way that I play the game defensively.” 5. Opposing Perspective Former Leaf Matt Stajan played alongside Phil Kessel when he first landed in Toronto in the fall of 2009. He offered the following assessment of Kessel on Wednesday morning, the 26-year-olds four-game goal and point streak coming to an end against the Flames. “I just think hes making good decisions with when to take off in his own end,” said Stajan. “And he obviously has some chemistry with the guys he plays with now; they know exactly what hes thinking and when to get him the puck.” Kessel equaled the best opening month production of his NHL career this October, totaling nine goals and 18 points in 14 games. Back in Oct. 2011, he mightve been even better, compiling 10 goals and 18 points in 11 games. Stat Pack 13 – Times this season the Leafs have allowed 30 shots or more. 21-28 – Mark for Jay McClement in the faceoff circle against Calgary. McClement finished 9-10 opposite rookie Sean Monahan. 22.2 per cent – Team-leading shooting percentage for Dave Bolland, who has scored six goals on 27 shots. 12.7 - Shooting percentage for the Leafs this season, first in the league. 1 – Point for David Clarkson on Wednesday, his first as a Leaf. Clarkson assisted on Mason Raymonds eventual game-winner. 12 – Number of times the Leafs have been outshot this season. 5 – Consecutive games with a point for James van Riemsdyk. He has two goals and seven points in that span. 23:33 – Team-leading ice-time for van Riemsdyk on Wednesday, including 6:17 on the penalty kill. Special Teams Capsule PP: 0-1 PK: 5-5 Quote of the Night “Im sure theres going to be games throughout the course of this season that wed say we were unlucky that we didnt win and theres going to be more games that were going to say were lucky to win. I think it all evens out in the end.” - Randy Carlyle following the victory in Calgary. Up Next The Leafs conclude their three-game swing through western Canada with a Saturday date in Vancouver. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen