and in each of the last

in second hand Lense Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:49 am
by Cl11234566 • 345 Posts

VANCOUVER -- While Vancouver Canucks fans demand change, new coach Willie Desjardins is preaching a status-quo approach -- with himself. After spending more than two decades attempting to become an NHL head coach, and with training camp in Whistler, B.C., two weeks away, he is vowing not to change his style behind the bench. "One thing I learned is, youve gotta be who you are," said Desjardins, 57, the new Canucks coach, after taking part in a Vancouver Board of Trade luncheon Tuesday. "You cant be somebody youre not. (Otherwise), it just falls apart on you." Desjardins reached the NHL this spring after helping the Texas Stars win the AHL title. He has also spent time in the Canadian university and junior ranks, winning championships at both levels, while also serving a two-season stint as a Dallas Stars assistant. Fans want a significant improvement in the standings after the team missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008 last season. Desjardins, who finds it "unbelievable" that his long-held dream of guiding an NHL clubs training camp is about to come true, suggested that chances of a Canucks turnaround are better than many people might think. "You just get to see the quality of people," Desjardins told reporters. "Sometimes, when you get into something, you go: Oh, what I have I gotten into? But thats not the case here." During the luncheon with 400 members of the local business community -- as well as Canucks president of hockey operations Trevor Linden and team GM Jim Benning -- Desjardins shed some light on what fans can expect from the veteran-laden Canucks. In one notable change, contrary to the views of former Vancouver coach John Tortorella, who was fired after one season, Daniel and Henrik Sedin are likely to spend less time killing penalties. "We have to share the workload," said Desjardins. "I dont think were going to make the playoffs with one line being shut down. Theyre good at all aspects of the game. Theyre good at killing penalties and theyre good five-on-five. They can play the power play. I think youre lucky to have players like that. For us, we want to make sure that theyre able to go (and) at the end of the game, theyre still fresh and theyre playing hard. So that may mean managing their minutes a little bit. We want to play with four lines." Henrik and Daniel, both former NHL most valuable players, managed to produce only 50 and 47 points, respectively, last season. Daniel also endured a lengthy goal drought while both battled injuries after seeing their playing time increased. Desjardinss view on the Sedins reflects the desire of the new top brass to have the Canucks rely on their veterans. Key additions include centre Nick Bonino and defenceman Luca Sbisa, who were acquired via trade from Anaheim for Ryan Kesler. Vancouver also added veteran wingers Radim Vrbata and goaltender Ryan Miller, who were signed as free agents. Benning, who replaced former president and GM Mike Gillis, said he, Linden and Desjardins have focused this summer on finding support for the veteran core. "Therell be many challenges for throughout the season, but I think weve tried to do everything that we could at this point to make the team deeper and give them more enthusiasm so they play with more energy," said Benning. The Canucks lack of depth showed last season as the NHL veterans and minor-league callups could not make up sufficiently for declines in offence from the Sedins and others when injuries and poor play took their toll. "We talked about maybe there wasnt the depth that we needed to counter those injuries going into that last stretch of the year," said Benning. "So we tried to add to our depth this summer. Now, we dont have to rush young players, and we can let them develop properly and be ready to come up and play when we call them up to play." During the luncheon, questions focused more on hockey than the clubs business issues. But the Canucks, used to perennial sellouts, are also trying to bolster their bottom line with more on-ice success. Linden told reporters that season ticket sales are "down a few percentage points." But he expects them to pick up as training camp creates more excitement about the team. Chaussure Pas Cher Chinois . Braves reliever David Carpenter was also fined for throwing at Rockies outfielder Corey Dickerson in the same game, which featured several ejections, including Colorado manager Walt Weiss. Air Max 90 Pas Cher . -- A lawyer for the fiancee of former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez asked a judge Friday to throw out perjury charges, saying Shayanna Jenkins did not wilfully lie as she was bombarded with 1,630 questions over two days before a grand jury. https://www.grossistechaussurepascher.fr/.J. - Henrik Lundqvist has done more than set a couple of franchise records for the New York Rangers this week. Site De Chaussure Pas Cher . The Brazilian-born strikers brace drew him level with Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo as the leagues leading scorers with 17 goals apiece through 16 rounds. "The important thing is to help the team win, not the goals," Diego Costa said. After a first half dominated by defence, Atletico pressed Valencia into its area and Diego Costa did the rest. Grossiste Chinois Nike Air Max . The teams were scoreless for most of the first two periods before Canada scored three times in a span of less than four minutes. Sarah Potomak opened the scoring on the power play.SYDNEY, Australia -- Bulgarian qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova beat fifth-seeded Angelique Kerber of Germany 6-4, 6-4 on Friday to win her first WTA title at the Sydney International. Pironkova, who was ranked outside the top 100 despite reaching the Wimbledon semifinals in 2010, beat three top 10 players in Sydney, 2012 French Open finalist Sara Errani, 2011 Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova and Kerber. Top-seeded Juan Martin del Potro will meet reigning champion Bernard Tomic in the mens final. The 2009 U.S. Open champion had 6-4, 6-2 semifinal win Friday over fourth-seeded Dmitry Tursunov. Tomic had a 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-3 win over Sergiy Stakhovsky, who last year beat Roger Federer in the second round at Wimbledon. Tomics win came only hours after he was drawn to face No. 1-ranked Rafael Nadal in the first round next week at the Australian Open. The 21-year-old Australian raced to a 4-1 lead in the first set but Stakhovsky broke back and rallied to win it in a tiebreaker. Tomic broke the No. 101-ranked Stakhovsky in the 11th game of the second set and levelled the match on his fourth set point. He got the decisive break in the seventh game of the deciding set, and then broke his Ukraine rivals serve again in the ninth to win on his third match point. "I was very happy to get out of this match. He should have won," Tomic said, adding that hed have to improve vastly to have any chance of winning the final against del Potro, who beat him in straight sets in their only previous meeting. Del Potro, who is also in Nadals quarter of the draw at Melbourne Park, said he was only concerned about thee Sydney final for now.dddddddddddd "Im trying to be professional. This tournament is not over yet for me," he said. "My team already knows theyre not allowed to talk about Melbourne yet. My friends, too." Unseeded Lu Yen-hsun of Taiwan stopped David Ferrers bid for a fifth singles title at the Heineken Open in Auckland, New Zealand, with a 6-4, 7-6 (4) win in his first-ever semifinal at ATP level. Lu moved into a final against third-seeded John Isner, who rallied from a set and a break down to beat unseeded Roberto Bautista Agut 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-4. Ferrer won the Auckland title in 2007 and in each of the last three years but dropped serve twice and made 20 unforced errors in the first set. "I know hes a tough guy and I tried to play my best tennis and fortunately I did it," Lu said. "Hes not playing bad, I just played unbelievable." Ferrer is seeded No. 3 for the Australian Open. In a preview of their first-round match at the Australian Open, Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic beat 2011 U.S. Open champion Sam Stosur 6-3, 6-2 in the semifinals of the WTA event in Hobart. Zakopalova will next play Garbine Muguruza, who beat Estrella Cabeza Candela 6-0, 6-1 in a semifinal between two Spanish qualifiers. At the Kooyong Classic exhibition tournament in Melbourne, Richard Gasquet had a 7-6 (3), 1-0 win over Gilles Simon when his fellow Frenchman retired with an injured right ankle. Gasquet was due to meet Tomas Berdych in Saturdays final but withdrew later Friday due to general soreness. Berdych will play Kei Nishikori in the final. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen