Behind the plate, Arencibia is a workhorse

in camera talk Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:25 am
by sakura698 • 435 Posts

SNOQUALMIE, Wash. Marcus Mariota Jersey . -- Bart Bryant got off to a fast start in his bid to win consecutive Champions Tour titles, shooting a 6-under 66 on Friday to take the first-round lead in the Boeing Classic. Bryant had eight birdies and two bogeys at TPC Snoqualmie Ridge, five days after winning the Dicks Sporting Goods Open in Endicott, N.Y., for his first victory in his rookie season on the 50-and-over tour. "It was a good way to start. I wish I could have hung on there late. Kind of ran out of steam the last few holes, but overall, a great day," Bryant said. "Ill take a 66 every day for the rest of my life." Bryant opened with a birdie and added four in a row on Nos. 3-6. He bogeyed the par-4 seventh, rebounded with birdies on Nos. 11, 13 and 14, and had another bogey on the par-3 17th. On the 210-yard, par-3 13th, he holed out from a bunker. Bryant did not play much during his final four years of PGA Tour eligibility because of two surgeries on his left wrist. The first one didnt work and, after the second one, he said, "I was beginning to think this might be it." "I was not really hopeful to play again," he said, "but the second time we did it, it worked. It seems like its holding together. It was just years and years of beating it up. I lost all the cartilage in there. The bones started rubbing. So they went in there and fused one big bone." Duffy Waldorf and Bobby Clampett shot 67, and Bernhard Langer, Dick Mast and Kirk Triplett followed at 68. Langer tied the course record with a 5-under 31 on the front nine. Hometown favourite Fred Couples opened with a 69. Waldorf, who tied for sixth last year in the event in his Champions Tour debut, chipped in from a bunker behind the green for an eagle on the 498-yard, par-5 18th. Triplett, who grew up in Eastern Washington, had four birdies in a bogey-free round. Kenny Perry, No. 1 in the Charles Schwab Cup standings, struggled to a 70. Mark Calcavecchia hurt his back on the 12th hole and withdrew. Warren Moon Jersey . And he said Sunday that players believe nobody in Sterlings family should be able to own the Los Angeles Clippers if hes gone. Curley Culp Jersey . Coming off a 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea on Saturday, Arsenal endured another demoralizing result after rallying for a 2-1 lead -- only to concede a fluke equalizer. http://www.titansstoreonline.com/Black-24-Derrick-Henry-Womens-Jersey/ . The Toronto Argonauts signed the veteran linebacker to a three-year deal Tuesday, hours after the start of CFL free agency.TORONTO - When a season doesnt go as planned, a team drastically underperforms on expectations, inevitably the time comes when a player-media spat makes its way into the public realm. If you had July 4 in your office pool, congratulations. Hours after going on a Toronto radio station Thursday morning to call into question the persistent criticism hes received from broadcast analysts and former major leaguers Gregg Zaun and Dirk Hayhurst, J.P. Arencibia stood by his comments before a large media horde at Rogers Centre. "I said what I felt," said Arencibia. "I said what I said this morning and I dont regret anything. I think that, again, I feel like me, myself and my teammates feel the same way. "Part of you guys is to be critical," he continued. "Youre not going to talk about every good thing. Youre not going to talk about this guy running the ball out hard. Youre not going to talk about the "sexy" things about the game. Obviously, controversy and negativity is sometimes part of the job. I think that was my point and I feel like I said what I needed to say." Zaun, a former catcher who played for the Blue Jays from 2004-2008, and Hayhurst, who pitched for Toronto in 2009, have regularly criticized Arencibias handling of the pitching staff, his defence and his offensive approach. Entering Thursdays series finale versus Detroit, Arencibias .216 batting average ranked 152nd out of 157 major league players with enough plate appearances to qualify. His .244 on base percentage ranked last among 158 qualified hitters. Arencibias 15 home runs leads all major league catchers but eight of them came in April, as did 16 of his 38 RBI. His WAR rating, which calculates a players value to his team above a minor league replacement, is 0.2. Defensively, Arencibia leads the majors in passed balls (10). Analysts in Toronto and elsewhere have opined on his pitch-framing abilities and his game-calling. Arencibia is a work in progress, hell admit as much, and says hes among the first to arrive and last to leave the ballpark. Whether its watching video or poring over scouting reports, Arencibia says hes constantly preparing. Behind the plate, Arencibia is a workhorse, having caught all but two games not sstarted by R. Marcus Mariota Youth Jersey. .A. Dickey. The knuckleballer has a personal catcher, first Henry Blanco and now Josh Thole, otherwise its likely Arencibia would have played in some of those games. "Im not going to sit here and say Im excited or should be patted in the toosh for what Ive done but I also think there are a lot of things that go unsaid," said Arencibia. "Its just unjust sometimes. I think, obviously, were not where we wanted to be. The season hasnt gone with the high expectations and that stuff but I think theres nothing specific. Its over a period of time I was making a point of what was being said." After suggesting that because Zaun and Hayhurst played professional baseball, they should have a better understanding of the daily rigours, Arencibia called on both to become more accessible to the players. "I was able to talk to Dirk today," said Arencibia. "I told him, you know hey, you can say what you want to say. Just be around the guys more. Come in. Why was it the first time that youve shown face, today, when something was said? Thats my point. They were both on the other side of the game, they both understand the way it works, I understand its part of their job. Again, why is it the first time that they come around? Why arent they around our team? Probably because theres a little bit more to that." "You never see either one of them, thats a fact," said manager John Gibbons, who identified Arencibia as the clubs "whipping boy". "Where that goes, people view that as gutless. If youre going to write things, you show up. Thats just the way it is, thats how these guys view that stuff. If youre going to take your digs, youve at least got to be around. Thats the way (the players) think." Arencibia is 27-years old but still hasnt hit the three-year anniversary of his major league debut. Highly touted, he made a splash in his debut on August 7, 2010. In that game, a 17-11 win over Tampa Bay, Arencibia went 4-5 with two home runs and three RBI. It seemed the great expectation was set from the get-go. Now, while he struggles for a prolonged period of time, his ceiling has come into question. Kind of like the Blue Jays, version 2013, isnt it? ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen