Hes just a gifted young athlete doing what he does

in camera talk Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 am
by sakura698 • 435 Posts

SHANGHAI, China -- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton captured his third straight Formula One race with ease on Sunday, leading from start to finish to win the Chinese Grand Prix. Gabriel Jesus Jersey . Mercedes showed again that its in a different class from its rivals, with Hamiltons teammate Nico Rosberg taking second place -- the third time in four races this season the pair have finished one-two. "This is a team on a roll, thats for sure," Hamilton said. "Im going to be working hard, were going to keep working hard because obviously the others are pushing to catch us." Ferraris Fernando Alonso held off fast-charging Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo to finish third and give his team its first podium finish of the year, with new team principal Marco Mattiacci watching from the garage. Ricciardo was fourth, finishing one place ahead of teammate Sebastian Vettel after the four-time defending world champion was asked by his team to allow the faster Ricciardo to pass for the second race in a row. Hamiltons win gave him his first career hat trick following his victories in Malaysia and Bahrain. The Briton may have even had a fourth win this season but was forced to retire in the season-opener in Australia after starting from pole position due to engine trouble. With the win, he inched closer to his teammates lead in the drivers championship with 75 points, just four behind Rosberg. Hamilton, who moved one ahead of Jim Clark for most poles by a British driver with the 34th of his career in Shanghai, was cruising so comfortably at the end of Sundays race that he wasnt even rattled when the checkered flag was mistakenly shown a lap too soon, at the end of lap 55. "That was very strange. I was thinking, Am I seeing things? I looked up, I was coming across the line expecting to do another lap and, all of a sudden, I looked for a split second and I saw the flag," he said. According to F1 regulations, if the checkered flag is shown early, the official end of the race will be the lap before it was shown. On Sunday, that meant the end of lap 54. The only racers this affected were Caterhams Kamui Kobayashi and Marussias Jules Bianchi. Kobayashi had passed the Frenchman on their final lap for 17th place, but their places were reversed in the official results. Hamilton was so far ahead for much of the race, his rivals were left to battle for second best. Rosberg, expected to challenge Hamilton in Shanghai after the pairs incredibly tight duel in Bahrain, started fourth on the grid and was forced to play catch-up after a slow start immediately dropped him back to seventh. The German methodically tracked down the two Red Bulls and finally passed Alonso on the back straight of the 43rd lap, the Ferrari unable to match the speed of the Mercedes. Rosberg then set his sights on Hamilton but he was by that point too far ahead, finishing nearly 19 seconds clear of the German. "We have the best car," Rosberg said. "But I was back there, so then catching up was nice with this fast car. Its a good weapon." Vettel started third on the grid and briefly moved to second before beginning to fade as his tires wore out. After Rosberg passed him, he was asked to give way to Ricciardo on the 25th lap -- a repeat of what happened two weeks ago at the Bahrain GP. Instead of acceding, however, Vettel asked his team what tires Ricciardo was using and when told they were both on mediums, the German responded, "Tough luck." At the start of the next lap, though, Vettel did make way and finished a distant 24 seconds behind his teammate. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner explained afterward that the team had different tire strategies for the drivers, planning a two-stop race for Ricciardo and a three-stop race for Vettel. "As soon as (Vettel) understood that, he immediately let him through," he said. "You could see he simply didnt have the pace to hold him back there. It was pointless." Vettel, who has qualified behind Ricciardo three times to start the season, agreed with the decision given his struggles Sunday. "Im not yet where I want to be with the car, but its an on-going process," he said. "Hopefully at the next few races we will make some more steps in the right direction." Force India had both its drivers finish in the points with Nico Hulkenberg finishing sixth and Sergio Perez taking ninth. Williams driver Valtteri Bottas was seventh, Ferraris Kimi Raikkonen was eighth, and Toro Rossos Daniil Kyvat finished in 10th, another impressive showing by the 19-year-old debutant. Philippe Coutinho Brazil Jersey . Jeter doubled high off the left-field wall and scored on Jacoby Ellsburys first hit in pinstripes in the fifth. Hiroki Kuroda (1-1) pitched 6 1-3 sharp innings in the Yankees 112th opener in New York. In what manager Joe Girardi said would be a season-long lovefest for Jeter, the shortstop was cheered every step of the way by an adoring crowd of 48, 142 -- even when his double-play grounder back to Orioles starter Ubaldo Jimenez (0-2) scored Solarte in the third inning for the first run. Ederson Jersey . He was 26. Edwards, the Supercup Championship leader, was in the passenger seat as an instructor for a private training session at Queensland Raceway at Willowbank, outside Brisbane, Porsche Motorsport said. http://www.soccerbrazilonline.com/Customized/ . Off-season additions Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley did not train with the club today, prompting Nelsen to declare its too early to tell if either will be ready for Saturday.In the 1970s and again in 80s, I signed that eras version of the Giancarlo Stanton deal.I was considered the Giancarlo Stanton of those times. I had led the league in home runs and RBIs a few times, so the Phillies decided I was worthy of becoming the highest-paid player in baseball.Ruly Carpenter, then owner of the Phillies, sat in front of me in spring training and told me about the responsibility that went along with my acceptance of $550,000 a year for five years. I said I understood. He had to trust my response and use his judgment as to my character and ability to fulfil this both off, and more importantly, on the field.Remember, I was a college graduate, 26 years old, married and a pretty good hitter. That was my ticket, as free agency had just been granted to players, and owners were in the first stages of fearing the loss of star players. That deal worked out great for both sides.After we won the 1980 World Series and I was the MVP, I really got the mini-Stanton deal. Highest salary ever, six years. Funny though, the entire deal was worth one-third of what Stanton will make a year. You bet there was a responsibility clause or two in that contract.Whether its $2 million or $30 million a year, it causes several changes in ones life, both private and public. Everywhere Stanton goes, he will be looked at as the guy with $325 million. Especially in his own clubhouse, which brings greater performance expectations.Sure, the Marlins will sell it differently, saying its the beginning of a new era, hes the face of the franchise, his teammates are excited for him, all good.Now hell get to experience batting slumps as the highest-paid player, a totally different feeling. Hell be at home plate with the bases loaded and strike out to a chorus of boos. Hell miss a ball in right field and want to crawl in a hole because of what he hears. Work as hard as you want behind the scenes, it doesnt matter, now you are expected not to fail.Off the field, he will have choices to make. Undesirable people will find him and want a piece of his financial future. He will be able to buy anything and everything — planes, yachts and expensive automobiles. He will need financial advisers and personal assistants, leading to the usual entourage.Gratuities will be expected to double. Cell phones will follow him everywhere. Facebook and Twitter will chronicle his every public minute. ESPN and the MLB Network will feature his performance, good and bad nightly.For someone who likes to stay under the radar, the question becomes: Is it worth it? The answer, of course, is hell, yes!This contract will carry a major burden along with it, and if history is any indication, these deals make little sense.Wed all like to believe Jeffrey Loria thought this through thoroughly. But after being out of the news, maybe the Marlins owner figured it was time to buy another show pony.He got Miami to give him a stadium deal. He signed and made promises to Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle about building a winner and then traded them. He hired Ozzie Guillen to link the team to the Latino population in Miami, and that move became a bust as well.Does Loria reallly believe Giancarlo Stanton will be a Marlin for the next 13 years?If a player in todays game can command the highest free agent-influenced salary in history, it is Stanton. Danilo Jersey. He is big, strong, fast, a five-tool player and 25 years old. Hes Jose Canseco minus PEDs, plus great defence. Hes not showy, or hung up on himself. In fact, he comes off as a bit shy and reserved, with no sense of entitlement. Very unusual in this generation.He has the potential to be the best player in the league for many years, a run he started in 2014, but can he stay healthy and hungry, and can the Marlins surround him with winning talent?Stanton has had three reasonably good seasons in his first five years, by todays standards. Hit 30-plus home runs three times and drove in 100 once. This past year was great timing, as he was far and away the best offensive player in the National League.To me, nobody was more valuable to an NL team in 2014 than Stanton, by a long shot.Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher baseball right now. Numbers dont lie. But there is no way a starting pitcher can be the Most Valuable Player of his league.Had the Marlins made the post-season, we wouldnt even be having this discussion. Its not possible for any player in the National League to be more valuable than Stanton.He plays every day. I repeat, he plays every day, not every fifth day. But enough of that debate for now.Stanton has tremendous potential, as we all know, but would a more conservative approach by Loria have been a more prudent avenue? Had Stanton delivered another MVP-caliber year in 2015, no one would have questioned making him rich.Stanton is coming off a nightmare injury for a hitter, being hit in the face. He has been injury-prone over his career, and will be a bigger centre of attention for opposing pitchers. If I were an owner and had $325 million to spend on one player, Id want to be sure he had what it takes to be MVP every year, which means unusual talent, desire, and durability.Backing up a great year with another great one would convince me. Id have waited till the end of 2015. After all, for $30 million a year shouldnt you be MVP a few times at least?For those who look at this and say ridiculous, no athlete is worth $325 million, understand the guy who realizes that the most is Stanton. Hes just a gifted young athlete doing what he does at the right time in history. Same as me back in the day.People want to lay blame somewhere for these things. Look in the mirror, fans. You pay these salaries by watching TV, buying jerseys, buying the products advertised by the teams, using social media, parking at stadiums and attending games where you eat, drink and buy memorabilia.Jeffrey Loria may not be the most popular guy in Miami, but he knows where this $325 million is coming from, and its not his savings account. Its from yours.So Miami fans, eat drink and be merry and enjoy Giancarlo Stanton for 13 years. You are paying for it.___Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt in 1977 became the first player to make more than $500,000 for a season. In December 1981, he signed a six-year deal that was worth a total of nearly $12 million. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4194 topics and 4197 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen