and the law spells out that non-deadly force against

in camera talk Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 am
by sakura698 • 435 Posts

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. Paul Molitor Jersey . - Teemu Selanne still wakes up early while his four children are heading to school, and he plays golf or tennis almost every day after they leave. He still drives fast cars, enjoys fancy dinners and makes time for any hockey fan who approaches him.For the first time in his adult life, Selanne no longer has to do any of it. He retired from the Anaheim Ducks last summer, wrapping up his 21-season NHL career with the team that will retire his No. 8 jersey on Sunday in a gala tribute.Selanne knows how many athletes struggle to find direction in their lives when their lifelong goals are gone.Not the Finnish Flash. Hes always moving forward.I havent really missed the game as much as I thought, Selanne said this week. I miss the boys, the locker room, maybe some good dinners on the road. But I played enough. It was a perfect time to retire.These days, Selanne can while away an afternoon sitting at an Irish pub in this upscale Orange County enclave. Around the corner, a theatre will present a special screening of a documentary about his life that evening, part of a weeks festivities thrown by the Ducks.Ive been enjoying every day, he said while knocking back a Guinness before attending the show. Living without any schedule is fun. That slot between 8 and 3 every day, its fun. ... When you wake up, you dont have to do anything. I always do, but its nice to have (the option).Selanne just might be the most beloved athlete in Orange County, where he spent 15 of his 21 NHL seasons as the biggest cold-weather sports star in a sun-kissed area. His jersey will be the first ever retired by the Ducks, who came into existence one year after Selannes career began.Tickets to Sundays game against the Winnipeg Jets — his employer for his first four seasons — are incredibly difficult to acquire. About 60 friends and family members from Finland will be in the stands, including his parents.The milestone has compelled the 44-year-old Selanne to reflect on his career, and he remains stunned by his own longevity.At the time when I came into this league, if you were a 32-year-old hockey player, you were older, Selanne said. I thought I was going to play three, four years. Maybe if I was lucky, I could play to 30.Selanne can scarcely list every way pro hockey changed during his quarter-century in the sport, starting in Finland with Jokerit in 1989. Almost every change has improved players lives, from chartered flights and safety technology to major lifestyle changes.Wed go out, and some guys would have two beers, and some would have 20, he said. After the game, youd take the helmet off and get beers, first thing. Now, its protein shakes. I dont think guys knew what was good food for you. When I came into the league, guys were still smoking. Now, I dont even know one guy off the ice who smokes.Selanne also watched the NHLs evolution from a league of freewheeling fun to a defence-first grind. He scored a jaw-dropping 76 goals in his first season in Winnipeg in 1992, a rookie record thats unlikely ever to be touched.After that, it was all downhill, he said with a grin. But hockey started changing after New Jersey won the Cup with a different style (in 1995). When I came in, there was no scouting. My third or fourth year, the coach got VHS tapes of the next team. These days, theres no secrets.Selanne can now watch the games evolution from a hockey dads perspective: His teenage sons, Eemil and Eetu, are prospects.Selanne drove an RV to San Jose for a recent tournament — although the trip mostly reminded him how much he enjoys hotels. And though he tries to avoid it, he cant help thinking sometimes about how he would have scored on chances that his kids missed.Selanne Steak Tavern, his 15-month-old Laguna Beach restaurant located one block from the Pacific, is packed most weekends with a lively crowd eating $52 rib eyes and checking out Selannes Olympic medals and the replica of the Stanley Cup won by the Ducks in 2007. Selanne drops by a few times a week, and he has been surprised to learn how the dynamics in a kitchen are familiar.Its really like a hockey team in some ways, Selanne said. I want it to be a place people love to come to work.Selanne has attended a few Ducks games this season, sitting with fellow Finnish retiree Saku Koivu. His children avidly watch every game at home, so he knows when the Ducks score a goal because theyre screaming.After several more months of relaxation, Selanne plans to return to hockey in some capacity, likely with the Ducks or the Finnish national team. He has high hopes for the current Anaheim team, which has led the overall NHL standings for much of the season, and hell be paying attention when the playoffs roll around.They look so good, and they have so much depth again, he said. Its going to be different watching them. But it was time. Jorge Polanco Twins Jersey . Lack made 20 saves for his third shutout of the season as the Canucks blanked the St. Louis Blues 1-0 in the first post-Olympic game for both teams night. Blake Parker Jersey .J. -- Kyle Palmieri thrilled his personal rooting section with an overtime winner that sent the Anaheim Ducks to their seventh straight win. http://www.twinssale.com/twins-kyle-gibson-jersey/ . Since coming to the big leagues in late May, La Stella is 6 for 7 with the bases loaded, driving in 13 runs in those at-bats.MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Petersons booking on a child abuse charge Saturday has created another crisis for the embattled NFL, already derided for not responding strongly enough to acts of domestic violence by its players. It also has touched off a national debate about the role of corporal punishment in parenting. In the eyes of a Texas grand jury, Peterson crossed the line when he repeatedly struck his son with a tree branch, or switch, in May. Petersons attorney has said he has never run from what happened -- and that Peterson was inflicting the same discipline he endured as a child. "Obviously, parents are entitled to discipline their children as they see fit, except when that discipline exceeds what the community would say is reasonable," Montgomery County Prosecutor Phil Grant said about 12 hours after Peterson was booked and released from jail and released on $15,000 bond. He is charged with causing injury to a child age 14 or younger. Peterson, one of the NFLs most popular players and widely considered one of the best running backs to ever play, flew from Minnesota to Houston in the early morning hours after authorities indicted him on Friday evening. He has a home in both locations. The Vikings almost immediately decided to deactivate him for Sundays game against the New England Patriots, and NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said on Saturday that Petersons case "will be reviewed under the NFLs personal conduct policy." The situation comes as the NFL proceeds with a self-commissioned investigation by a former FBI director into how it handled the case of Ray Rice, who knocked his then-fiancee unconscious in an Atlantic City elevator. Rice was released Monday from the Baltimore Ravens after a video surfaced that showed the violence. The NFL said it hadnt seen the video before then, but a law enforcement source told the AP it was sent to a league executives office in April and provided a voice mail confirming it was received. Unlike Rices situation, Petersons case is complicated by his stance that he meant his son no harm but rather was applying the same discipline he experienced growing up. "Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced as a child growing up in East Texas," Petersons attorney, Rusty Hardin said. Steve Eudey, who coached Peterson as a young boy in Palestine, Texas, and has remained a family friend, said he has heard stories from Peterson about his father Nelson "being a firm disciplinarian." "Some of the things his dad did to him was to make him tough," Eudey told The Associated Press. Eudey said he had yet to speak to Peterson since his arrest, but said his actions were consistent with the type of upbringing he had. &"I will go to my grave defending Adrian, but at the same time you cant harm a child, either," Eudey said. Marwin Gonzalez Jersey. "I know that was never his intent." Grant, the Texas prosecutor, said the grand jury felt the charge was warranted after spending several weeks reviewing "lots of evidence." Its not unusual for people subjected to physical discipline as children to use corporal punishment against their own children, experts say, and courts will sometimes consider that as a mitigating factor when sentencing an abuser. Peterson faces up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine if found guilty. News of Petersons charges led several prominent athletes to tweet about their experiences with corporal punishment when they were children. "Am I the only one that got hit with a switch? I had to go outside and pick my own switch. It taught values, respect (and) accountability," former NBA star Tracy McGrady said. But he later qualified those remarks, tweeting, "Disciplining a child is vital. Of course any early physical punishment should be within reason, not overboard, and inside certain boundaries." While the legal process plays out, the NFL is facing a potential test case for the tougher penalties it declared last month for players involved with domestic violence. Commissioner Roger Goodell announced an initial offence will draw a six-week suspension without pay, though "more severe discipline will be imposed if there are aggravating circumstances such as the presence or use of a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child." It is not clear if Petersons case will invoke those penalties. Corporal punishment is legal in Texas, and the law spells out that non-deadly force against a child by a parent or guardian is permissible. But the punishment is abusive if it causes injury. While a blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, could be judged abusive. The childs injuries will likely be under scrutiny as the case proceeds. The guidelines also say while spanking with the bare, open hand is least likely to be abusive, use of an instrument "is cause for concern." The Vikings jumped ahead of the NFL and the legal system by shelving Peterson for the game Sunday. Two other teams -- Carolina and San Francisco -- have taken heat for allowing players involved in alleged recent domestic violence incidents to continue to play. The team -- and the league -- will likely face scrutiny as they decide whether Peterson returns to the field as the legal process plays out. As of Saturday, no decision had been made about his outlook this season, and no court date had been set in Texas. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: faraheunicefernandez
Board Statistics
The forum has 4196 topics and 4199 posts.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen